TRIBUTE!!! Surayya Baba Aminu (Sai Mama) : A Woman Like No Other - By Abba Anwar

By Abba Anwar 

The quintessential Surayya, a woman of substance, who passed away as a humble, religious and respectful Muslim fellow, can always be remembered for her simplicity, humility, religiosity and empathy.

Wherever she could be, you saw her dressed in a Muslim dress code. Even if she happened to be in the Southern part of the country. She didn't differentiate between North, South and Centre, when it came to decent appearance as a Muslim woman. This alone, is indelible as one of the legacies she bequethed.

I first came across Surayya, popularly called Sai Mama, about 9 years ago, when I was with The Guardian newspaper. One day, as I was a member of Ganduje Online, social platform, courtesy Uba Tanko Mijinyawa, popularly called Uba Danzainab, I asked particular information on the platform concerning a policy formulated by the then Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje.

I wanted to write an informed article about the policy, but I didn't have some core parts of the policy provisons. Few minutes after my request, she responded on the platform, what I needed the information for. I responded "harshly" that why would she be a asking a journalist requesting for Information on people-oriented policy of a state government.

Surayya didn't utter a word after my "unbecoming response." And few hours later, a strange call came. When I picked the call she introduced herself, as Surayya Baba Aminu (Sai Mama). I quickly remembered. She asked about my location, I said where was she, she said, "Government House Sir."

I told her my location, which was far away from Government House. Allah Sarki. She drove all her way to me, with complete document of that policy. She apologized for her enquiry then. I felt dump founded. I collected the document and thanked her.

When I asked her, what made her bahaved that way for taking the pain to furnish me with all the information I needed. She responded, "Whatever can be good and useful to the administration of Baba Ganduje, I will not relent." A true loyal party member of great substance. 

I came to know her closely, when former Governor appointed me as his Chief Press Secretary, February 2018. She was one of the first callers who called congratulating me. Since then I had been watching her closely. 

I found in her the following qualities 

1. She was a dedicated member of her political party, 

2. She supported Baba Ganduje's administration to the best she could, 

3. She spent on party programmes and activities, with support from leaders or without any support. So long as she believed in what she was doing, 

4. She was one of the decent women politicians I came across with in my sojourn as Chief Press Secretary, 

5. She was one woman who sacrificed to the party more than other women who found themselves in the position of party leadership, 

6. Very religious who always avoided saying bad things about leaders, 

7. She was a politician who always sought second opinion from her elders (especially her Mum) before embarking on anything she wanted to engaged in, 

The list can go on and on. Since when I was appointed as the Chief Press Secretary, she always wanted to hear my opinion about many things she did or she wanted to do in the political space. 

When Baba Ganduje was a governor, he chaired APC Gubernatorial Campaign Councils of some states, like Osun and Edo states. 

Hajiya Surayya was in those states few days to the arrival of Baba Ganduje with his entourage. She went ahead and started organizing women to effectively galvanize the needed support and confidence for APC. 

She would be there long before any other women leader arrived from Kano. She was patriotically dedicated to the party and wellbeing of the people. 

When there were activities at the Government House or elsewhere, you see women making all sorts of appearances, when I asked her "Sai Mama why are you not participating? She always replied, "Alhaji Abba, mine is different from theirs. My only interest is what I can deliver." That was Sai Mama for you! 

Sometimes she added and queried, why would she behave the way others behaved. She used to say "Alhaji Abba I'm a mother. And a responsible mother for that matter. I believe so much in empowering our youth and women. Not wasting time doing things that could not add any value."

When the news of her passing away got to my ears, I was caught in bewilderment. The first person I called to confirm the story was Kamalu Rabi'u, popularity called Dini Manchester Kankarofi, former Special Assistant at the Deputy Governor's Office. 

Immediately he picked the call he said, "CPS ya hakurin mu na Sai Mama? His question provided an answer for my intended enquiry. Allah Ya jikan Hajiya Surayya. 

She was a flagship to many of her family members and beyond. She was indeed a role model for those who believe in hardwork, commitment, patience, good heart, respect and dignity. 

One Bashir from Osun state called me today saying good things about her. He was a Special Assistant on Northern Matters to the then Governor of Osun State, Ra'uf Aregbesola. Anywhere anytime at whatever length, Surayya was a decent and good woman of substance. 

Allah Ya jikanta da Rahama. Allah Ya sa Aljannah Makoma. 

Anwar, was Chief Press Secretary to the former Governor of Kano State. 
Sunday 13th October, 2024

Popular posts from this blog

Yanzu - Yanzu: Bankuna Zasu Karbi Tsofaffin Kudi Ko da Bayan Karewar Wa'adi - Emefiele

Zababben Gwamnan Kano Ya Kafa Kwamitin Karbar Mulki